During the Spring Term Year 5 will study The Ancient Egyptians and learning across most subjects will be linked and/or related to the Life in Ancient Egypt. Our new class English novel ‘Secrets of a Sun King’ is based around the life of King Tutankhamen.
In History, Geography Art and DT, we will study the following areas:
- Locating Egypt on a world map and knowing which continent it belongs to and which countries it is close to.
- Learn about modern Egyptian tourism and culture.
- Placing Ancient Egypt on a World History timeline, and knowing what happened in history before and after this period.
- Learning about Egyptian landscape including a study of The River Nile.
- Finding out about the life of King Tutankhamen and the discovery of his tomb.
- Understanding the importance of artefacts in helping us find out about the past.
- Find out about ways of life in Ancient Egypt.
- Learn about Egyptian tombs, pyramids and burial sites.
In addition we will also study the following areas:
- The life and works of Frida Kahlo, combining portrait and collage.
- Practise sketching buildings, rivers, pathways and roads within landscape pencil drawings.
- Design, construct and evaluate a shelter.
- Investigate pulleys and gears within mechanical systems.