Welcome back to all of our children!
We have had a really positive start to the new term in Year 5 and would like to take this opportunity to introduce our Year 5 team and our curriculum aims for the Autumn term. It is so good to see all of your children back in the classroom, and we have really enjoyed our first few weeks!
The Year 5 Team:
Class 7 – Mrs Didlock-Jones and Mrs Tolley
Class 8 – Miss Reade and Miss Caunt
Class 9 - Mrs Guy, Mrs Bowles and Mr Blackburn
Our Year 5 Curriculum:
Year 5 study World War II this term and learning across most subjects will be linked and/or related to the events of World War II and the huge impact that these events had. Within Geography, History, Art and Design & Technology we will focus on the following areas:
- When, where and why the second World war occurred, including key characters and the role they played.
- Air raids and the causes of evacuation.
- Life for a child during World War II.
- The Blitz – which areas were most likely to be affected and why? Locating these places on a map.
- Rationing – what was it and why was it necessary?
- Learning about the experiences of Jewish children during the war and understanding that the war created many refugees.
More details of our learning across the curriculum will soon be published here, but we felt that the above key areas would be useful for parents and carers who wish for their children to research and read at home around the topic.
We are really looking forward to the rest of this term and we are sure that your children will enjoy everything that we have planned.
Please do not hesitate to contact a member of the Year 5 Team if you have any questions or concerns. We are always more than happy to help.